- Freelance software engineer / data scientist / researcher / trainer
- Citizenship: German
I am a Mathematician (PhD) and computer scientist by training, turned neuroscientist, turned entrepreneur. I am located in Germany and work for my own startups and as freelance software engineer / data scientist / researcher / trainer. My research interests are in neuroscience, mathematics, data analysis, and machine learning. I am also interested in creating open source software.
- PhD. Mathematics, summa cum laude, 2007 – 2011
- University of Stuttgart, Stuttgart, Germany
- Thesis Topic: Hamiltonian Submanifolds of Regular Polytopes PDF | Amazon.
- PhD Advisor: Prof. Wolfgang Kühnel.
- Research in fields of discrete topology, geometry and combinatorics. Grant by German Research Foundation (DFG), Project Ku 1203/5. Authored open source software simpcomp.
- Scientific visit (1 month) at Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA. Collaboration with Prof. Edward Swartz.
- Diploma (M.Sc. equivalent) Mathematics and Computing Science, with distinction, 2002 – 2005
- University of Stuttgart, Stuttgart, Germany
- Thesis Topic: Topology-based Vector Field Visualization on 2-Manifolds.
- Advisor: Prof. Daniel Weiskopf
- Areas of study: pure and applied mathematics (analysis, algebra, geometry, topology, statistics, numerical mathematics), computing science (algorithm design, databases, scientific visualization).
- Scientific visit (9 months) at Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC, Canada. Collaboration with Prof. Daniel Weiskopf.
- Co-Founder and Chief Technology Officer (CTO), September 2017 – Present
- Stealth Silicon Valley Startup, San Francisco, CA, USA
- Worked on neuroscience-inspired signal processing with focus on image and video compression. Responsible for everything tech, managed team of 5 engineers. Scrum master, chose technologies and set coding standards, managed cloud infrastructure, did code reviews. Deep dives into engineering problems where necessary.
- Raised angel investments and 3m seed round.
- Technologies: Python, C, C++, Assembly, CUDA, OpenCL, ObjectiveC, GitLab, Amazon EC2, Microsoft Azure
- Postdoctoral researcher, September 2015 – September 2017
- Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies, Franfurt, Germany
- Ernst Strüngmann Institute, Frankfurt, Germany
- Postdoctoral advisor: Dr. Hermann Cuntz
- Research in neuronal morphology, modeling and data analysis. Published several papers and developed open source software TREES toolbox 2
- Technologies: Python, Matlab, LaTeX
- Freelance Software Developer, May 2013 – October 2015
- Co-Founder and Full Stack Developer, January 2013 – January 2016
- modelogiq GmbH, Frankfurt, Germany
- Postdoctoral researcher, November 2011 – September 2015
- Max-Planck-Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences, Leipzig, Germany
- Postdoctoral Advisor: Prof. Jürgen Jost, Jost group
- Research in mathematical neurobiology and computational neuroscience, focus on processes of self-organization in cortical neural networks and the fundamentals of learning (synaptic plasticity). Modeling and analysis of spiking neuron data. Published several research papers, a book chapter, and developed software hdnet.
- Technologies: Python, Sun Grid Engine, LaTeX
- Research assistant, June 2004 – October 2007
My research interests are in (computational) neuroscience, (discrete) mathematics and (high-dimensional) data analysis.
See research page.
See software page.
See teaching page.
- Student at Berkeley Summer Course in Mining and Modeling of Neuroscience Data, Berkeley, CA, USA. 2012.
- Student at Advanced Course of Computational Neuroscience (ACCN) 2013, Bedlewo, Poland. 2012.
Scholarships & Awards
- Postdoctoral research fellowship by the Max Planck Sociecy, 2011 – 2015
- Ph.D. scholarship of German National Academic Foundation (Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes), 2008 – 2010
- Scholarship of German National Academic Foundation (Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes), 2004 – 2007
- Scholarship of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) for a visit to Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA, March 2010
- “Best Software Presentation Award” by the Computer algebra working group, RWTH Aachen (joint with J. Spreer) at ISSAC 2010 in Munich, July 26, 2010
- COSYNE Conference, Reviewer
- Discrete and Computational Geometry, Reviewer
- European Journal of Combinatorics, Reviewer
- Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A, Reviewer
- Nature Scientific Reports, Reviewer
- Neural Networks, Reviewer
- PLOS Computational Biology, Reviewer
- PLOS One, Reviewer
- German: native
- English: full professional proficiency
- French: professional working proficiency
- Italian: elementary proficiency
Mathematics: graph theory, group theory, topology (discrete and continuous), real and complex analysis, differential geometry, measure theory, probability theory, statistics, information theory
Computing Science: design and analysis of efficient algorithms, theory of computation, fundamentals of database design, software verification, visualization and user interface design
Neuroscience and Machine Learning: mathematical foundations of neuroscience, single cell and network dynamics, neural coding, information theory for neural systems, statistical machine learning
Scientific visualization: topology based visualization, dense and sparse visualization methods, GPU based visualization, user interface design
Communications and Signal Processing: probability theory, stochastic processes, information theory, statistics and statistical estimation
Software Engineering Skills
Miscellaneous: Systems administration in UNIX/Linux environments, DVCS (Git) and Subversion, Productivity applications (LaTeX, office software), Cloud computing (Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure), Infrastructure as code tools (Terraform, Ansible), Agile development methodologies